Job Position: Research Intern, PhD, Fall 2022
Job Type: Full-time, 12-14 week paid internship
Last Date: 08/26/2022
Please complete your application before August 26th, 2022. Participation in the internship program requires that you are located in the United States for the duration of the internship program.
NOTE: This internship is intended for students who are pursuing a PhD degree with an anticipated graduation date before December 2023, depending on their program and unique circumstances. If you are graduating after December 2023, we encourage you to apply to the Student Researcher opening.
To start the application process, you will need an updated CV or resume and a current unofficial or official transcript in English (PDFs preferred). Please ensure your anticipated graduation dates (in MM/YY) and any proficiency in coding languages are listed on resume.
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; Ann Arbor, MI, USA; Austin, TX, USA; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; Chicago, IL, USA; Irvine, CA, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Madison, WI, USA; New York, NY, USA; Palo Alto, CA, USA; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; San Bruno, CA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA; Sunnyvale, CA, USA; Washington, DC, USA; Cambridge, MA, USA; Princeton, NJ, USA.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD degree in Computer Science, Linguistics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Economics, Natural Sciences, or a related technical field.
- Experience in one area of computer science (e.g., Natural Language Understanding, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Algorithmic Foundations of Optimization, Quantum Information Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, or a similar area.).
- Currently attending a degree program in the US.
- Availability to work full-time for a minimum of 12 weeks outside of university term. Ability to return to a degree program after completion of the internship.
- Relevant experience as a researcher, including internships, full-time, or at a lab.
- Experience contributing research communities or efforts, including publishing papers in major conferences or journals.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently.
About the job:
Join us for a full-time, 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, an executive speaker series, and community-building. Research happens across Google everyday, in many different teams. Our research has already impacted user-facing services across Google, including Search, Maps, and Google Now, and is central to the success of Google Cloud and our planet-scale computing, storage, and networking infrastructure.
Research Interns aren’t cloistered in the lab, but instead they work closely with Engineers to discover, invent, and build at the largest scale. Ideas may come from internal projects. From creating experiments and prototyping implementations to designing new architectures, Research Interns work on challenges in artificial intelligence, machine perception, data mining, machine learning, natural language understanding, privacy, computer architecture, networking, operating systems, storage and data management, and much more.
Google Research addresses challenges that define the technology of today and tomorrow. From conducting fundamental research to influencing product development, our research teams have the opportunity to impact technology used by billions of people every day.
Our teams aspire to make discoveries that impact everyone, and core to our approach is sharing our research and tools to fuel progress in the field — we publish regularly in academic journals, release projects as open source, and apply research to Google products.
- Develop and execute a research agenda.
- Create and support a productive and innovative team, including working with peers, managers, and teams.